Friday, January 10, 2014

:: AARP and Spotify ::


I was watching Jeopardy with my grandma this week and, although we muted it during commercials and talked, I noticed commercials for the AARP and for Depends. It strikes me just how much advertisements target their audience... and just how much the audience varies from one program to another.

I've also heard the first half of quite a few Spotify commercials. I get a lot for squarespace and for other bands. I heard a preview of one song, which I guess was supposed to entice me to "click the banner" and learn more about the artist, but the lyric were, I swear, "You remind me of something. I'm not sure what. But you remind me of something."  If those are the lyrics they choose to highlight in a 30 second Spotify add, I shudder to think what the rest of the song must sound like.

So that was a poorly targeted ad.

Also, I feel like Spotify should come up with a dating service or a new-friend-finder feature that pairs up people based on similar music preferences. But that's unrelated to advertisements; it's just a good idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment